Sunday 14 December 2014

Polar expressions


 Inexcuseable has finally won! She has made me endure a Christmas film, and one that I thought to be equally childish and mawkish. I thought this before I watched it, however, and had judged it based on a brief clip and Tom Hanks' voice.
 Now, I think otherwise. While it is undoubtedly a film for children - older children, I would think - and it does pull on the old heart strings-
 Oh, is that what that was? I didn't think we had any left.
Quite. Now, where were we? Oh, yes: I actually found it to be rather good, if a little creepy.
 Ugh, yes, those horrible animated faces! 
 Especially right at the beginning when the boy wakes up and opens his eyes. I was expecting him to vomit pea soup while his head spun around!
 All right. No need to get carried away.
 Well...
 Anyway, I don't want to harp on about The Polar Express
 For that is the film we were talking about, if you hadn't already guessed.


 Oh. Yes. I forgot to mention it, didn't I? Anyway, Polar Express aside, I was just wondering what your favourite Christmas film is (or movie, if you're an American)?
 Our favourite isn't Polar Express, by the way. No. It's Edward Scissorhands!
 Yeah, I thought our last heart-string gave out when Mary Berry died befo-
 Vincent Price! It was Vincent Price you nitwit!
 Was it? Wow. Don't they look alike?
 Well, I suppose...
 Although, I don't think I've seen Mary Berry making biscuits (or cookies) like that...


 Anyway... Please let us know what your favourite Christmas film is in the comments. And if you've watched it yet this year!

12 comments:

  1. The Nightmare Before Christmas and, of course, It's a Wonderful Life. I've watched both already, sweet pea!


    and had a slice of drunken christmas cake! xoxoxox

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bad Santa! No I haven't watched it again but I feel as if I lived it for several years when doing a Santa gig at the local shopping centre with a pro photographer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mh, I'm more a fan of a contrast program, so if we find Kiss Me Deadly or I, the jury ...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have not seen Polar Express. Sorry.

    I always enjoy watching Christmas Vacation every year.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Er... Love Actually. Sorry. I love watching it at Christmas. It might have something to do with Bill Nighy, though.
    Sx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my gods Savvy: I still haven't seen It's a Wonderful Life. It is on my "to do" list, though. Thanks for the reminder.

    Princess: Pro-photographer, eh? Does this mean there's some photographic evidence?

    Mago: Everyone's idea of Christmas is different... Besides, your choices sound like the ideal antidote to too much Christmas Crap!

    LX: Ah, National Lampoon films. Kind of like the U.S. equivalent of the UK's Carry On films?

    Ms Scarlet: Hmm... Now I feel the need to watch Shaun of the Dead.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes. in homes scattered all across the country and beyond... And that's all i'm saying...

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's a Christmas tradition chez Infomaniac to watch "Pee-wee's Playhouse Christmas Special" featuring some amazing guests such as Cher, Joan Rivers, Grace Jones, Zsa Zsa Gabor, Little Richard, Charo, The Del Rubio Triplets and so many more! And, of course, the usual cast of characters.

    It just doesn't get any better!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I didn't think I'd like The Polar Express either but it's actually pretty good once you stop scrutinizing characters for Tom Hanks comparisons and just enjoy the story.

    I also love The Nightmare before Christmas & Love Actually--though now when that scene with Andrew Lincoln holding up cards for Kiera Knightly comes up, I imagine him doing so not to avoid her husband's suspicions but to prevent alerting the dead walkers to his position.

    My fave holiday viewing is It's Christmas Charlie Brown & I've already seen it twice & look forward to seeing it again soon. That always puts me in a holiday mood. My more recent fave is Holly Jolly Secrets from Adventures Time.

    Haven't seen It's a Wonderful Life either...must catch it on tv soon.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello, Mr Swings! I agree with you re. Andrew Lincoln!
    Over here, Christmas used to begin with the Fred Quimby Tom and Jerry cartoon... 'Twas the night before Christmas.... Don't think they show it any more though.
    Sx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ms Scarlet the First: Never heard of it?

    * rushes off to Wikipedia *

    Princess: You know there's a spell for seeing through your eyes in a photograph? Although, in most cases, it's even more dull than watching Big Brother!

    MJ: I certainly don't see how it could be better. One can't go wrong with Grace Jones!

    Eros: I'll just be thankful if I ever watch Love Actually that I haven't seen Mr Lincoln's zombie show!

    Ms Scarlet the Second: Oh, I loved that Tom & Jerry cartoon!

    ReplyDelete

Tickle my fancy, why don't you?