Wednesday 27 January 2016

Wednesday Walkies


 As it was another unseasonably warm day (13°C, or thereabouts) without the predicted rain, I thought I'd venture out to check on my marker sigils, amongst other agendas.
 But first, before we get to the photos from today, the following three photos are from Sunday's walk:

Some rather internal organ-y looking fungus
I think this will be some sort of ghastly lily when it grows up
Ah, snowdrops!


~

And now on to today's photos:


This boundary marker sigil was just about in one piece, despite the fact that I hadn't checked up on it since the beginning of December. I only had to realign a couple of the sticks

This fallen tree seems to be a staging ground for Muntjac deer, as I saw two of them looking shifty behind it as I walked past

This drain (or whatever) on the old railway line between Cromer and Overstrand has been successfully repurposed by nature

Another of my boundary marker sigils on Small Hopes Hill, overlooking the old railway line

Holy...!

A World War II pillbox on Smallhopes Hill

Looking a bit creepy close up. I wonder what's inside?

Yikes! It feels a bit "Blair Witch" in here!
Hang on... I shouldn't be afraid - I'm the bloody witch!


 And that's the lot. As I sit here and finish this off, the rain has finally turned up.



15 comments:

  1. Walkies! Thanks!

    There are also surviving World War II pillboxes scattered around Maui, some on elevated overlooks and some on the beaches.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They would certainly make robust beach huts more than capable of weathering a storm. Unlike the flimsy wooden ones we have to keep rebuilding here...

      Delete
  2. Oh, those cheeky little muntjac - they're responsible for making ghostly crop circles and , we suspect, hosting naughty parties on my friend's front lawn.
    The sigils stand! Lovely little stroll;ta.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Is there nothing they won't stoop to? Just remember to avert your eyes if you ever do happen to catch them on the lawn!

      Delete
  3. Glad you managed to squeeze in some urban exploring (of the pillbox) on your walk. And very impressed that you markers are virtually untouched!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Squeeze in is just about right! As you can see, the pillbox is on the side of a hill meaning 60-70 years worth of soil and other natural detritus have slid into it leaving the door little more than a window, and the ceiling barely high enough for an Oompa Loompa to stand beneath!

      Delete
  4. The prefect little pillbox to take a gentleman suitor. And I mean that was to showing things of local interest. Not anything dirty. I would never.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course you wouldn't. I can't imagine a more chaste and innocent individual than yourself!

      Delete
  5. OH!!! So this is what the sticks were all about?!
    Not sure if you'll recall my first Mogwash post, which mentioned moving sticks to create a new message... this was all true... something I used to do in the woods. Please let me apologise now!
    Sx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have vague recollections of some goings on in the woods, but this could have been my own experiences yesterday thanks to an exceedingly poor memory recall system...
      I shall have to take a trip into your archives, Ms Scarlet!

      Delete
    2. Found it!

      I guess I can kiss goodbye to my plans today as I shall probably end up re-reading your Bottles & Mogwash posts...

      Delete
    3. Oh crikey! Poor you!! Whenever I re-read it I want to give everything up, write some more and just finish the damn thing. Ten years this has been hanging over me... maybe Charmaine will take up the baton...
      Sx

      Delete
  6. nice here today too....though they complain it's "gray" it's 42 degrees!
    such the fuck up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 42 degrees? Hearing that has made me want to get in the fridge...

      Delete
  7. Thanks for sharing these awesome fotos! The mushrooms look fantastic with their bold colors. My immediate reaction upon seeing them would've been 'Ooohhh. Ahhh. Are they edible?'. Luv snowdrops! Lovely blossoms, one of my faves.

    Glad to see your markers are intact, & the gnarly tree where deer do the doe ray me looks just gnarly.

    I'm assuming the reclaimed drain is now a portal to the underworld. The pillbox looks awesome! If I had one, I'd turn it into a bunker, stocked with comfort food & survival supplies, in case the zombie apocalypse comes or visiting demons from the underworld portal need a place to stay during their vacation in Cromer.

    The holey bark makes me wonder if bugs did the drilling or some bird got a massive headache after pecking all them holes, probably after having a couple of drinks at the pub.

    ReplyDelete

Tickle my fancy, why don't you?