Saturday 1 March 2008

me(book)me


With thanks to Dinah, from whom I appropriated this meme.

1. Pick up the nearest book (of at least 123 pages).
2. Open the book to page 123.
3. Find the fifth sentence.
4. Post the next three sentences.
5. Tag five people

Someone who, for preference, was a big strapping lad but short on brains. Someone who would do what he was told.
The biggest of the three now fleeing the dragonlands might do.

The book from which that passage came wasn't the nearest to me, as that honour belongs to some Tori Amos claptrap on the diningroom table. However, as the claptrap isn't mine, I chose to reach for one that was. And the lucky book is:

The Colour Of Magic, by Terry Pratchett.



It's the first book in line on the fourth shelf down of my bookcase. In fact, it's from the first book shelf, as the top three shelves are filled with CDs.
I haven't read this book in years, although, it has now become a contender for the First Book Read This Year, as I haven't actually finished any other book yet. I think it'll be interesting to compare Mr Pratchett's writing from then, 1983, to now, 2006 (I know it's 2008, but I don't have any books he's written from this year, probably because he hasn't finished writing one yet).

I'll let you know once I've finished.

Oh, I'm not going to tag anyone because I do a lot of that normally, anyway. So, if you fancy taking this meme, please do!

7 comments:

  1. I used to really like Terry Pratchett's novels, then I went off them.

    That is all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never read any, but this one looks interesting.

    Also, this makes me want to see a picture of your bookshelf.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooh! I am going to do the meme that all the cool kids are doing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tim: OK then.

    Actually, I went through a bit of a meh-phase with them, too. I used to buy the hardbacks, but wasn't totally enamoured with Soul Music and Men At Arms so I returned to the cheaper paperbacks (except for Carpe Jugulum which I couldn't wait to read - Fantastic!).
    The later ones, from Night Watch onwards, have really drawn me back into the DiscWorld.

    Dinah: I'm angling for a digital camera for my birthday - which is this month, people - so I'll see what I can do if I get one.

    And can figure out how it works.

    And can get the pictures into the Demon Box.

    T-Bird: Wait a minute! Are you obtaining memes from other blogs?

    MJ: Because I can't read it. I leant it out to some of the boys and couldn't open the pages when I got it back.
    Those tricksters must have glued the pages together...

    ReplyDelete
  5. To response to MJ: Are you sure that it was glue?

    Oh, I was in a bookshop at the central station the other day looking for a new book, and I saw they had a whole bookcase with Terry Pratchett books. I thought I'd heard of him and then I thought maybe not. Left without a book.

    Sounds interesting though, in a "I'm not so sure I'll read that" kind of way. don't know why.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Damn. Someone else already tagged me with this one, and I was going to tag you.

    ReplyDelete

Tickle my fancy, why don't you?