Wednesday 30 March 2016

Spring


Colourful and sweet smelling hyacinths
 As Spring has now sprung, I thought I'd show you a little of what's going on in Castlette DeVice's sprawling compact garden as we prepare for the Infomaniac Garden Photos Event later in the year. New growth is beginning to become evident - some of which is more luxuriant than others (thanks, Norma).

 There are also a few photos from recent walks we've taken, too. And not all of these walks have been Weekend Walkies, either. No, you see, the Host has taken a few days off work over Easter to sort out the garden and the house (decorating, amongst other things).

So. Let's get on with it, shall we? First up, Garden Photos Event preparation:

This is the current view from the back door. A "before" if you will...
Earlier in the year, I divided clumps of tree lilies, spider lilies and arum lilies. As you can see, the tree lilies are starting to appear now.
Delphiniums, creeping jenny, and echeveria just waiting for a bit of warmth before they go outside. And at the far right, a pineapple lily.
Just some of the daffodils currently brightening up the garden.
 ~

Now onto some photos from the first day of Spring:


A nice mossy log amongst the rhododendrons in the woods by Northrepps Cottage
Close-up of the feathery moss
Various bracket fungi
Grazing sheep
Having a little face rub
Hawthorn (?) blossom in the hedgerow leading to Overstrand
Cherry blossom (I think?) in Overstrand cemetary
~

 A few from 26 March:

A roe deer in a patch of woods between New Road and Pit Road in Northrepps
The roe deer's mate making sure I move on
I think this is just a cover for the teenage hoodlum warlocks around here
Next stop Gunton

Next stop Roughton Road

A hollow log
~


 And finally, the last lot from 29 March:

A new boundary sigil on Smallhopes Hill

A bit further on and I found this sigil needs to pull itself together!

That's better

Vivid!

The coral-like undersides of that bracket fungus from 21 March

Brittaline de Tarfth's weather vane witch (I'll tell you about her another time)

A warning for the unwary: Don't vex a witch around here, otherwise you're likely to find yourself imprisoned in this tree. Just look at all the faces of those that didn't use the sense they were born with. And before you ask, only two or three are my doing. Brittaline's imprisoned a few, but most were trapped here before my time.


 
So, that's it for now. We should be back at the beginning of April once all that Fool's Day fuss has died down.



19 comments:

  1. Lovely! Love the sheep! This makes me want to strip naked, take in the fresh air and lay amongst the daffodils.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You've been laid amongst daffodils more than once... Jx

      Delete
    2. Not with the sheep, one hopes?

      Delete
  2. Britain on a clear Spring day is rather wonderful, isn't it? Shame that last weekend was a return to apocalyptic storms; and now we're back in the office, it's fine again... Jx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What did you expect over a Bank Holiday Weekend?

      Delete
  3. And there was me looking forward to the pictures of you decorating!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I held off the paparazzi as I hadn't done my hair.

      Delete
  4. Thank you for that lovely romp through the garden plants and countryside.

    PS: Is there room on the Tree of Woe for a couple of our Presidential candidates? I'm asking for a country.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, no! You're not getting rid of them over here!

      Delete
  5. I love your country walks.very "Country Life", in fact.
    And that weather vane would not look amiss on my roof...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And yet I'm still waiting for one of the glossy mags to approach me for an interview. I don't know how much longer I can wait?

      Delete
  6. Very cool fotos! Thanks for sharing these wonderful scenes of a fascinating environment. The faces tree looks spooky & spectacular! And the shrooms & moss look amazing, so lush & thriving. I luv the hollow log colors & character, looks pretty neat! Do the trains still run on those tracks? Because a mischievous part of me senses an opportunity to hang up some banners or artwork to promote laughter or irk the authorities to take action that benefits the public...& mischievous teenage me would see the warning about low flying drones as a challenge to take 'em out with a well aimed sling shot...Luckily, I'm mostly an adult now & have learned to respect property & propriety, most of the time ;)

    But my fave fotos are the vibrant & lively flowers in the woods & meadows & blossoming in your garden! You've got the gift of growing things, you're practically a forest god! Whereas I am the Grim Reaper of plants, whose touch turns green, growing things into brown, dead things. The only things that have successfully grown around me have done so without my attention nor intervention. The minute I start paying attention & make efforts to care for a plant is the beginning of that poor plant's end, so I leave nature to nature & the pros.

    The sheep look awesome, friendly, adorable, & delicious! So do the deer! They all look quite magnificent in the meadows & woods, & I imagine they'd look equally divine on a dinner plate with a side of mushrooms.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Eros! Yep, the trains still run, so you can make mischief at will. Although, you might want to rethink your slingshot as you'll probably be landing on that mini-runway if you do come and visit!
      Oh, and bring your rubber gloves - we can't have you coming into contact with our undergrowth...

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. Funnily enough, I did spy parts of a 'wringer that had been attached to a wooden fence post. I wonder what it could mean?

      Delete
  8. The roe deer confused me. At first I thought I was looking at a man in a balaclava lurking in the woods, and then my eyes caught up and I could see the rest of the deer. This is what happens when you spend too much time on news sites, you end up seeing something scary in every picture!
    Sx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the deer must have been looking at news sites too - all those horror stories about humans, and how we eat deer meat (Eros!) - as it wouldn't come any closer for love nor money (well, really, for me clicking and calling like a dimwit in the woods...).

      Delete
  9. Replies
    1. What box? Is there a box around here? Maybe it's a parcel? Ooh, how exciting!

      Delete

Tickle my fancy, why don't you?